If you’ve been in the market for a new job lately you’ll know that in Wave we have been publishing in the main channels offers for backend, iOS and Android profiles. We have almost finished and are just looking for one more android specialist. This has been an extremely interesting, and a bit frustrating experience (I’ll explain why in a second). So please, if you are planning to apply for a job with us please read this carefully 😉
Our procedure is that we review the résumés we receive and filter those we believe that could be a nice fit for what we are looking for. Those that pass the first test are contacted so that we can have a short, brief interview via Skype, Hangouts or telephone. A few tips in general:
- Please read the job offer. If we ask for experience in a particular technology as a must, if you don’t know it chances are you are not our ideal candidate.
- A course on Udemy (or a similar system) is a great way of learning or getting up to date, but please don’t count it as real world hands on experience.
- When we call you we ask for a variety of different skills and technical knowledge. The key is not to know them all, but to have a solid knowledge base that will help you to achieve the parts you don’t know.
- Please be enthusiastic. You are supposed to be asking for a job and we have to like who we are going to work with. Good will and attitude are a must in a company where everyone is vital.
- This last tip is something that I feel ridiculous about writing. Can you believe that many of the people that we called after passing the first test, and reaching an agreement on when to call them, didn’t download the App or find out what Wave was about? This is absolutely ridiculous. How can you expect to get a job developing an App if you are not able to download it and test it out? If we take the time to evaluate you as a candidate, why don’t you take the time to find out about us. We like to ask people what they think about Wave, and not doing this is a direct discard. So please, download the App, try it out, and find out about us. You would be surprised the amount of people that do not do this, it is incredibly frustrating for us.
- Ask yourself, if I was on the other end of the process. Would I hire myself?
We have almost finished but we will be looking for more people soon, so be smart ;). Joining Wave is an incredible experience, and to finish off this post I’d like to show you the new, improved, and incredible new Wave Team J
Happy Christmas to all of you!